Cancer Research UK and Marie Curie are teaming up and heading down to the pool for Swimathon 2018 – thousands of swimmers, two great causes, one big charity challenge.
Cancer Research UK, the world’s leading cancer charity dedicated to saving lives through research, will be involved in Swimathon for the first time.
Marie Curie, the UK’s leading charity for people with any terminal illness and their families, has been Swimathon's charity partner ten times since it launched in 1986 and has raised over £17 million for the charity through the event during that time.
If you raise £300 on your JustGiving page by 31st May, you will receive a money-can't-buy Swimathon towel and t-shirt! If you raise £100 on your JustGiving page, you will receive a Swimathon t-shirt.
The money you raise from your Swimathon challenge will aid both charities, here’s how your money can help:
|Cancer Research UK||Marie Curie|
|£30 will cover the cost of running a cervical cancer trial for 1 day.||£35 pays for a slide sheet, used by Marie Curie Nurses to move people with a terminal illness safely in bed.|
|£100 covers the cost of giving one patient the Cytosponge test and analysing their results in the lab to diagnose early stages of oesophageal cancer.||£180 pays for a Marie Curie Nurse’s nine-hour shift in a patient’s home through the night.|
|£270 covers the cost of a trial for a day to find the best treatment for children with a rare type of leukaemia, whose cancer has come back after treatment.||£260 will cover the cost of two day-therapy sessions for a patient at a Marie Curie Hospice.|
|£400 is the cost of running Cancer Chat for one day helping thousands of people through very difficult times.||£435 pays for someone with a terminal illness to stay in a Marie Curie Hospice for 24 hours, so they can receive the hands-on care they need in their final days.|
Set up your JustGiving fundraising page
In 2018, Swimathon has partnered with JustGiving, the #1 platform for online giving in the world, to help our swimmers raise even more money for official charity partners Cancer Research UK and Marie Curie.
If you didn’t set up your JustGiving page when you registered it is not too late. You can set up yours now by firstly logging in to your swimmer profile area. Follow the below steps to set up your JustGiving page:
- Click on 'Manage My Challenge' in your Swimathon profile area
- Select 'Fundraising' on the menu on the left-hand side
- Enter your giving page name and URL (the bit that will follow www.JustGiving.com/...), do not use any spaces or punctuation when creating your URL
- We will suggest an available URL which you can either accept OR if you would like to create your own page name, you can check if this is available with JustGiving. If you receive an error message stating the ‘URL is unavailable’ this means it has already been taken, please try again with a different name
- You will then automatically be sent to the JustGiving website to either login to your account (if you already have one) or create a JustGiving account
- Once authorised, you will head back to the Swimathon website to complete your registration
- Then you're done and ready to start sharing your JustGiving page!
Find out more about Swimathon 2018 and how your sponsorship will help make a difference by visiting the JustGiving website.
JustGiving fundraising guides
JustGiving have created a simple-to-use guide to get your page looking fantastic. They have provided you with tips on how to choose a great photo, tell your story, and optimise your page so that you can raise as much money as possible.
- How can you make a perfect fundraising page?
- How to tell your story and communicate why you are fundraising
- What are the top 10 fundraising tips?
- How to promote your fundraising page
If you'd like to collect money in person instead of setting up a JustGiving page, you can download a sponsorship form here
Cheques will need to be made payable to either Cancer Research UK or Marie Curie and sent to one of the below addresses:
Cancer Research UK
PO Box 1561
Oxford OX4 9GZ
PO BOX 23897
14 Links Place
Edinburgh EH6 9AB
There will also be the option to pay in offline income at your local Marie Curie charity shop.